Saturday, August 16, 2008

Early Saturday 8/16 Morning Update

After watching Jillian all night, Donna Faye and I have a strong sense of when Jillian is "asleep" and "awake," and it seems to be connected to her heart rate. That is, her heart rate seems to be a good indicator of when we should talk to her and try to wake her up versus lay off and let her rest.

Heart rate in 60s and low to mid-70s seems to mean Jillian is "sleeping."

Heart rate in high 70s, 80s, and 90s seems to mean Jillian is "awake."

Jillian will often go between these states in short, short cycles. One or two minutes, for example. Sometimes they're longer--and not always balanced evenly (i.e. she doesn't always "sleep" for as long as she's been "awake" and vice versa).

All this, of course, must be confirmed by doctors. This update is purely a product of strong intuitive reasoning.

Also, naturally, there are marked differences in Jillian's physicality in these two states. Jillian will often engage the muscles in her lower arms and hands as if she is pulling reins (along with minimal leg movement) when she is "sleeping;" the mere presence of movement does not necessarily mean she is "awake."

Jillian also seems to be moving her head more frequently than she did Friday afternoon/evening. Again, this mostly occurs when her heart rate is in the high 70s, 80s, or 90s.
-----

As of 7:15am, no new updates from doctors or nurses.

-----

And now for a lighthearted story from the middle of the night:
At a little after 2am two nurses came in to take Jillian's routine (3 times per day) chest x-ray. I was puzzled to see one of the technicians washing his face after the procedure. "She spit in my eye!" he said. "I've been doing this for three years and never once has this happened." Apparently Jillian sent some projectile saliva onto his cheekbone and eye. "I guess she doesn't like me," the nurse joked.

-Yve Laris Cohen

4 comments:

cindy w said...

Hi, this is Cindy Wheeler from Beacon's Closet. Just wanted to say thank you for this blog and the updates on Jillian. I am away from NYC right now and the first thing I do when I wake up is check the blog to see how she is. Jillian has so many people who love her. I know this love is pulling her back to us.
Thanks so much!!!
Cindy W

OPENPORT said...

Dear Friends of Jillian,
I wanted to thank you all for posting multiple daily reports on this blogsite - I am in Chicago and new Jillian when she was in the performance department at SAIC. She is one super powerful dynamic force. The SAIC community and Chicago have been told the news and we are wanting to get a fundraiser together in the coming weeks to help Jillian and Family out. We will keep you posted.

On a personal note I am aware of what you are all going through, my father in 2002 fell onto his head from 17 feet onto concrete and had multiple brain surgeries. It is an echo but everything I read is very similar, her not coming out of a coma right away, and the need for the body and brain to heal.

On Madonna's 50th birthday I wish I could sing her a madonna song like she did with her performance she made at the kitchen and bought to us here in Chicago.

I send wishes and love to you all and thinking of you all in NYC and love to Family,

Mark Jeffery

xta said...

hi, it's christa. i also want to thank all of you for the updates. it's been so surreal being all the way over here. between this blog and text messages and calls i feel as connected as possible across the ocean.
i am also so amazed and overwhelmed by outpouring of love and support that she can surely feel- i can even feel it over here!
thank you thank you,
christa

Patty said...

good morning-- this is patty d. i too am grateful for these posts. i am deeply saddened and am thinking constantly of j. thank you for taking such good care of her.

with love, patty