Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Update

Today, Jilly had many moments of great lucidity ad wit. We have to remind ourselves, and her, that she still has quite a way to go. The hospital's art therapist visited, bringing a brand-new box of oil pastels and a nice fresh pad of art paper. Jilly responded to her well, selecting three colors when asked, but turned away from the materials to her computer, which is where she creates her own art. She's not quite ready for that either, but she did agree to see the therapist tomorrow.

This morning we think she was asking when her occupational therapist, whom she really likes, would be coming. This being a holiday, there was no scheduled therapy at all; I think the art therapist just came in because she wanted to get Jilly started.

Thanks to the resident on the floor, Jilly has her walking privileges back, which is a relief to us. It is much easier to follow in her wake than to keep her in her room or on her wheelchair. Her posture is what it always was, her speed is remarkable, and today we only set off the perimeter alarm once. I blame it on Raymond; anyone who knows me realizes I would never try to help her bust out.

The other rule she asks every visitor to help her break is the ban on beverages. She is not above scooping water from the bathroom sink, and she has made a lunge for a water bottle in my tote more than once.

The end of the day is Jillian's most difficult time, as visitors head for home. She pleads to leave at that time, and is only beginning to understand that she cannot. We talked a bit about the accident today; I got the feeling she thought for a moment she had caused it herself and had perhaps even been driving, but I think we got past that.

We have hard moments, many times a day, but the great kindness of an enormous circle of friends from our world and Jilly's much wider one has become a sacred trust to me. I promise all of you that we will settle for nothing less than a full recovery for our remarkable daughter, and once again thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

6 comments:

Betty Pyle said...

Dear Ingrid and Raymond

Your enormous circle of friends includes "strangers" like me who know your daughter, but not you. But my prayers are with you daily.
Katy may have shared with you that our son Matt suffered a brain injury 22 years ago. I will never forget my horror when called to the accident scene, the terror of seeing him hooked up to life support in ICU --- and how "SHIT!" became my favorite word of all time when he uttered it as he regained consciousness momentarily! I am thrilled to tell you that today he is a father and gainfully employed in a professional field that rewards his creative genius.

Although his injury was not as devastating as Jillian's, Matt's recovery defied the odds and was considered miraculous. Thus, we know of the power of prayer from people we did not even know and of the grace of God.
From the blog reports, Jillian is also on a remarkable path of recovery. My daily prayers are not only for her, but for both of you --- to remain strong and hopeful as you keep the vigil beside your precocious daughter.

Georgi said...

Its wonderful to hear that Jilly is getting back to herself more and more each day (even when it involves setting off perimeter alarms). Our thoughts are always with her and her progress is already remarkable.

mm said...

I send you my love and support and I am so happy to hear of Jillian's extraordinary progress.


Jillian has lead so many of use into a clear path and an open available experience in the MFA Hollins program. She was a true support to me and my colleagues in 2006 an 2007 as we earned our MFAs.

My spirits are lifted to know she is finding her way back to her life. I am very thoughtful of family times together in healing at the hospital... it is a surreal and challenging time. My hospitalization was for a 6 week span in 1978 when I was a ten year old with a mysterious bone disease unrecognizable for several weeks. While I battled the bone disease my parents and twin sister lived at the hospital 200 miles from our home. My mom was only in her 30's and turned gray during my hospitalization... (today she is not gray yet!!) I found my way through the unknown to a safe and healthy continuation of life. I know Jillian is going to make a full recovery and beyond! I can see Jillian is doing this. I trust in the power of love and faith and send my love and faith to you her mom, Jillian and her family in these hours, days and weeks.

All my love and support,

Mariah

Unknown said...

Dear Ingrid, Raymond and the rest of Jillian's families,

I'm one of those extended circle people. I know Jillian via her time in Chicago, and I just wanted to say that I have been thinking of her often and have been hoping those of you on her care team keep your own wells full and continue doing such outstanding work. It is clear Jillian is very loved and supported and it is a joy to see. If there's any way a nerdy Chicagoan such as myself may be of assistance, please let me know.

Sara said...

I am so excited to hear that Jill is turning back to her computer and wanting to create again. Thank you so much for blogging. I read it everyday, hanging on to each word of news. Please tell Jill that I love her tremendously. I will be there in October to visit.

Love,
Sara Katz

gypsywings123 said...

Hello Ingrid, Raymond, and Jeremy,
I'm not sure if you've received any of my emails. I'm unsure as to how to do this. I'd just like you to know how many prayers are being prayed for you all. We are all with you in our thoughts and just want you to know how much we care. Jilly sounds like she's making great progress. Hopefully you are getting proper rest too.
We love you all.
Brother Bill & Norma
Susie and Karen